CNWC-CCTN PUBLISHING GUIDE
The following information is intended to provide a comprehensive guide to publishing articles of interest on your news focused website. (click on images to get a better view)
Logging into the site
In order to be able to post new articles or make edits to an existing article you must first log into the Wordpress Admin area.
> Click here to login
- Use the credentials you have been given to access your account.
Adding a new post
To add a new post to the website you need to hover over the POSTS link in the Wordpress nav and choose "ADD NEW" from the options presented. Before publishing your new post, ensure that the following pieces of information have been entered:
- POST TITLE: Click in the area that says "Add Title" and enter your preferred post title (in English)
- ADD POST CONTENT: To add some text to your post, start typing (or copy/paste) your content where it says "TYPE / TO CHOOSE A BLOCK".
- ADD A DOWNLOADABLE FILE: If you require a callout to download a related file (PDF, Word etc.) click the PLUS SYMBOL (+) and add a new "CUSTOM HTML" block. (See further instructions below).
- ASSIGN A CATEGORY: On the right side of the page, ensure you are on the POSTS tab. Scroll down until you see the "CATEGORIES" section and select the appropriate category/categories for your new post (English). If you do not see the category you want, use the search box in this section and it should pop up. DO NOT add new categories in this section, use the instructions below instead.
- CHOOSE A FEATURED IMAGE: In the right side panel, scroll down to the "FEATURED IMAGE" section and click the button to add an image for your post. This image will be used as the main image at the top of your post as well as the thumbnail for that post on all other pages. Your Media Library will open up in a new window where you can either select an existing image or upload a new image. Choose your image then click the "SET FEATURED IMAGE" button to add that image to your post.
- PREVIEW YOUR POST: If you would like to preview your post to ensure everything looks good and your download links work, click on the "PREVIEW" link in the top right corner of the screen (beside the Publish button). A new window will open with your post loaded for preview.
- PUBLISH POST or SAVE AS DRAFT: Once you have previewed you post and everything looks good, you can go ahead and PUBLISH your post. In the top right corner of the screen click on the "PUBLISH" button.
Once published you will see the latest post appear live under whatever categories you have chosen. If you are still working on a post and are not ready to publish it yet, you can save the post in Draft format and revisit it later when you have time to complete everything and publish.
To save a draft of a post, click the "SAVE DRAFT" link in the top right corner of the screen.
Adding a Downloadable File to your post
For a large number of the standard post types on this site, we include a downloadable copy of the related resource. This includes Newsletters, Policy Positions, Fact sheets, Submissions etc. To add these download links, complete the following steps:
- If it is not already open, open the post you would like to add a downloadable file to.
- BELOW the existing post content (paragraph block), click on the + symbol to add a new content block to the post.
- Select the "CUSTOM HTML" block from the list of available blocks.
- Copy and paste the appropriate code block below into the CUSTOM HTML block
- Adjust the filename in the link and update the description to reflect the downloadable files location and intent.
- Click the "UPDATE" button in the top right corner of the screen to save the changes you have made.
NOTE: I have included code snippets for both English and French downloads.
How to get your document link:
- Open your Media Library
- Click on the document you would like to link to
- Click on the "COPY URL TO CLIPBOARD" button found on the right side of your screen
- You can now paste this link into the code snippet you selected above. Replace the "YOUR DOWNLOAD LINK HERE" portion, being sure to keep the quotes (") intact.
Creating a new post category
Many of the required post categories have already been created at this point. If you have the need to create additional categories, follow these steps:
- Hover over the POSTS link in the Wordpress nav and select "Categories" from the available options. You will be entering information into the form fields on the left side of the page.
- NAME: Give your new category a name. Try to keep it short and descriptive.
- SLUG: This will be auto generated when you save the category. You do not have to fill this in.
- PARENT CATEGORY: If your new category is a SUBCATEGORY of an existing category, please select the appropriate parent category from the dropdown list provided.
- DESCRIPTION: This is an optional field. You do not have to fill this in.
- LANGUAGE: This should remain in English.
- TRANSLATION: This is where you enter the French title for the associated category.
- Click the "ADD NEW CATEGORY" button to save your new category. You will now be able to assign this category to new an existing posts made on the website.
Once you have saved your new category, verify that both the English and French categories appear in the list on the right side of the page. You may need to refresh the page to update the list.
If you do not see the French translation of your new category in the list of all categories, do the following:
- Locate the English title for the newly created category in the list of all categories.
- Click the PLUS ICON (+) beside the Canada flag
- Enter all the information as described in the list above (ensuring that the LANGUAGE option is showing French this time)
- Click the "ADD NEW CATEGORY" button to save the French translation.
The English and French categories are automatically linked at this point. Changing the language options on the front end of the site will alternate between the French and English category displays.
Setting up the French Translation for a new post
Setting up the French translation for a post is an easy process once an English version has been published in the manner described above. The featured image and French category will be selected automatically.
- Publish the English version of your new post or page
- Go back to the ALL POSTS or ALL PAGES area and locate your most recent post or page
- Click on the blue + symbol beside the Canadian flag in the same row as the post title
- Add a French language title
- Add your French content in the first paragraph block on the page
- Add a downloadable file (code snippet) after the main page content if necessary
- Click on the PUBLISH button in the top right corner of the page
Editing an existing post
Editing an existing post or page is quite similar to the process for adding a new post. To edit an existing post, complete the following steps:
- On the ALL POSTS page, locate the post you would like to edit and click on the post title
- Click on the title area at the top of the post page and edit as necessary
- Edit the post content if necessary
- Deselect any unwanted categories or select additional categories as desired
- Remove the featured image and replace it with a more appropriate image
- Once the changes are complete, click on the UPDATE button in the top right corner of the page
- View the updated post to ensure all changes are live
- Repeat the above process if anything was missed
Adding images and other files to your Media Library
All images used on the site are saved in your Media Library. In order to add an image or a group of images to the site (or other files such as PDFs and Word docs), hover over the Media link in the Wordpress nav and choose "Add New" from the available options.
You will be given two options for adding images or files to your Media Library. You can do one of the following:
- SELECT FILES BUTTON: Choose this option and your File Explorer will open up a new window. Navigate to the appropriate folder on your computer and choose the files you wish to upload. Click the "Open" button to complete the upload.
- DRAG & DROP FILES: If you already have the folder open that contains the files you wish to upload, simply select the files then drag and drop them into the highlighted area to complete the upload.
All files will now appear in your library, with the most recently added files shown first. Clicking on a file will bring up its details. For SEO purposes, it is a good idea to add ALT tag information for every file you upload.
ALT tag information is used by screen readers and search engines to assist both machines and individuals with disabilities in understanding what that image or file is. The ALT tag should be a short description of the image or file. ie. CNWC Logo OR Darlington nuclear power plant.
RECOMMENDED IMAGE SIZES:
Featured Image: 696px Wide X Any height
Add sizes and locations
home page header: 728w X 90h
home page side bar: 300w x 250h
inside page: sidebar 1: 440w x 440h
inside page: sidebar 2: 440w x 440h
archive page mid content ad 1: 728w x 90h
archive page mid content ad 2: 728w x 90h
archive left sidebar ad: 300w x 250h
archive right sidebar ad: 300w x 250h
For editing images I suggest using the free online image editing website Photopea.com. You will have plenty of options for resizing and cropping images so they are the ideal size to be posted on the CNWC website.
- Watch the introduction video below in order to get a good idea what a beginner can accomplish with the Photopea software
- Edit your images as necessary
- Upload your recently edited images to your Media Library
- Add the selected images to any new or existing post / page